Pages

MINT'S THAI KITCHEN

8:22 AM

MINT'S THAI KITCHEN
70-15A Austin Street
Forest Hills, NY 11375
(718) 268-1470


Thai Austin has passed on to the Zagat Guide in the sky and, in its place is Mint's, another Thai restaurant with a very takeout-specific name. Is it better, worse, or merely a renaming? The menu is smaller than TA's is, and that's usually a good sign, but with so many Thai restaurants within walking distance, I can't help but think to myself that unless Mint's can fulfill some niche that Thai Austin could not, that this won't be a particularly profitable venture. Mint's, it must sadly be said, does not fill a new niche. I ate at Mint's twice recently and, both times, I left thinking that they were good, but not great.



Inside Mint's, the set up is virtually identical to Thai Austin's, but not quite so low-rent. The wicker chandelier lamps evoke a subtle hint of the tropics and are a nice touch. The white roses that pepper the dining area, meanwhile, feel out of place. Flower accents should always be small, but Mint's has, like, whole vases of them. The service was very good. Attentive and chipper. They aren't very busy so you can sit pretty much wherever you want. My friend Pike and I came here together and he liked it. Hidden under the sidewalk and behind a pillar, it's cozy and comfortable and not expensive. I could almost see the gears in his head whirring as he thought to himself "my girlfriend would like this place..."

Anyway, rather than create two separate storylines in which I recount tales of hoofing through the storm and snow, I'll just give you a rundown on what I/we ate. But yes, I did hoof it through the snow.



Appetizers: I ordered Mint's Mixed Appetizers (pictured), which comes with: Shrimp Parcels, wonton wrapped shrimp moose with sesame seed and lime curd sauce. They were not to my taste. The sauce helped but not by much. If you like fishy, room temperature shrimp and wrapped in filo dough, please get this. I'll pass.; Steamed Vegetable Dumplings, which is corn, mushroom, tofu, spinach, peanut and garlic all ground into a gritty paste and wrapped in dough. Soaking them in soy sauce didn't help much, so I couldn't recommend them.; Chicken Curry Puffs, a chicken potato pastry with a sweet cucumber sauce. Anyone who remembers anything I order at just about any Thai restaurant knows I loves me my curry puffs. And these were the best of the three by far. Sadly, they were a far cry from the best and a with so much of that aforementioned competition, why would I get them here?



Soups: I tried two soups. First, the Shrimp Lemon Grass Soup (Tom Yum Kung), a spicy clear soup with lime, lemongrass, mushroom, and shrimp. Very good. Definitely something worth having on either a cold winter day, where heat always feels good, or on a hot summer day, where sweating helps cool you down. Next up, the Chicken Galangal Soup (Tom Kha Gai), a coconut broth chicken soup with tomato, cabbage and mushroom. Not bad. Not as thick and heavy as other tom kha gai soups that I've had, and that thinness meant it wasn't as flavorful as it could have been. But it wasn't bad and if you want something to warm up with without spiciness, then this option isn't a bad one.



As with all Thai restaurants, regardless of the dish you order, be it curry or rice or noodles, you can choose your protein (tofu, chicken, beef, shrimp). Pike ordered the Pad See Ew with Shrimp, a flat rice noodle dish with vegetables and egg. Very good. I was thoroughly impressed. I wanted something with a spicy kick to it, so I ordered Mint's Drunken Noodles with Beef, and was considerably less impressed. First off, too much sauce and the sauce was too salty. Second, they used round wheat noodles, something I'd never seen before and frankly hope not to see again, given that they lacked anything in the way of flavor. If this was supposed to be some sort of nod to the health conscious, then I'd expect the rest of the menu to reflect that. Instead, it just seemed like they got the recipe wrong. Mind you, Pike didn't think it was nearly as regrettable a main dish as I. So perhaps I'm just harsh. That said, I offered to trade and he said no. From now on, my I'll get my drunken noodles from Bangkok Cuisine. I returned a few days later and ordered their Beef with Ginger and Garlic. A stir fry of beef, onion, scallion and pepper. Spicy. And tasty. A vast improvement over the drunken noodles. I also ordered two sides. First, the Sticky Rice, served wrapped in a palm leaf and pressed into a firm cube, it was an essential part of sponging up the sauce of my entree. By the way, never have I encountered a sticky rice so sticky. You practically need a knife to cut though it. Next, the Spicy Potatoes, sauteed potatoes in an almost too-sweet (and not at all spicy), syrupy glaze. They were like candy coated potatoes. I liked them, but I didn't love them. They were simply too intense.



Overall, my impression of Mint's is a positive one. It has good service and a cozy atmosphere, but is marred by hit or miss dishes. I wonder how well they can really hope to do in a nabe with so much Thai competition. But here, in a nutshell is my solution: Mints has no liquor license. Or, at the least, sells no liquor. Therefore, I think that the niche they could fill would be to become Forest Hills' BYOB restaurant. I'll bet that if they let everyone bring their own bottles of wine, they'd clean up. I haven't been to a single BYOB restaurant in NYC that didn't have a line. After all, everyone likes saving a few bucks, especially in this economy.

The average Mint's rice/noodle/curry entree is $10, though they have more fancy options for $17. Sides and apps were around $5-$7. Mint's is available through Seamlessweb.

You Might Also Like

3 comments

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

The contents of this website/weblog are the property of its author and are protected under the copyright and intellectual property laws of the United States of America. The views expressed within are the opinions of the author. All rights reserved.

Readers are free to copy and distribute the material contained within, but such external use of the author's original material must be properly attributed to the author. Attribution may be through a link to the author's original work. Derivative use is prohibited. The borrower may not alter, transform, or build upon the work borrowed.

The author is free to change the terms of this copyright at any time and without notice. At the written request by the borrower, the author may choose to waive these rights.

Labels

Press