MAZARA PIZZA

>> Sunday, August 15, 2010

MAZARA PIZZA
105-03 Metropolitan Avenue
Forest Hills, NY 11375
(718) 544-0416


"Pizza by the slice." It's the Mazara tag line, and it implies that they might be alone in selling anything less than a whole pie. They forget that this is NYC, not the 'burbs (much to the chagrin of some denizens who will, in a short time, fade into dusty oblivion) and that pizza is almost always offered by the slice (Dee's and Nick's notwithstanding). Naturally, I had to try a slice of said pizza and moseyed on in one hot afternoon to do just that.



The average Mazara customer is a construction worker, and I waited in line behind about a half dozen of them while the staff tripped over itself in confusion. Pizzas were being handed out that no one ordered, people were bumping into each other, and there was the occasional snarky comment. The soda machine didn't work, forcing everyone to shell out twice as much for a bottle of the same soda. How coincidental.

I ended up ordering a Regular Cheese Slice, a Chicken Tomato Garlic Slice, and a Chicken Roll. Never have I had a more soggy slice of pizza than that plain slice. It drooped like a soggy rag as though it never saw the inside of an oven. Plus, it bled grease like nobody's business. The sad thing is, it actually could have been decent if the cheese wasn't so cheap and the crust had been cooked. The chicken slice was actually not bad, but I wasn't wowed by it. Meanwhile, the chicken roll was just flat out mediocre. The sauce tasted different from the sauce used on the pizza (a mistake in my book), and there was about as much flavor as I'd expect from eating a cardboard box with cheese in it. Sorry about the lack of photos, but my camera battery died once I got inside. Still, pizza on a paper plate looks pretty much the same everywhere.

So in short, do I see myself craving Mazara again? No, probably not.

Mazaracard.jpg

9 comments:

Jeff August 15, 2010 at 6:33 PM  

I've been in there plenty of times when the service was quick and the soda machine working. So I'll defend their service and say maybe you caught them at a bad time. But the pizza ... yeah, it's second rate. Much better places in town, including the new one on Metro across from CVS.

Rachel,  August 15, 2010 at 7:13 PM  

I used to eat at Mazara as a kid and don't remember it being nearly this bad (granted, it was a thousand years ago). At any rate, there was a movie filmed recently on Metropolitan and I happened to see Hugh Laurie (aka Dr. House) eating in Mazara...I dare say he rather seemed to be enjoying himself!

Anonymous,  August 15, 2010 at 9:59 PM  

Spot on. Terrible pizza. I don't know how they stay in business.

warsze August 16, 2010 at 8:38 AM  

I've driven by it many times and thought it had potential. Now I know to stay away.

Wayno2424,  August 16, 2010 at 12:02 PM  

Mazzara is just bad pizza.

JO August 16, 2010 at 6:11 PM  

great sign, so I've done a walk in. but then I always walk out when I see the offerings... too bad.

Steve August 17, 2010 at 9:29 PM  

I think you were there on a bad day. They usually have a nice crust. And the sauce is really great. You should try it again. Also, hit the Lebanese place next door. That's pretty great, too.

Anonymous,  August 20, 2010 at 9:44 AM  

Don't waste your time, check out Rosa's Pizza on Metropolitan in Middle Village. Probably the best slice in our area. Speaking of Dee's, I went there last week and the pizza was crap. Nick's still gives out that burnt crust, which sometimes is nice.

Anonymous,  August 22, 2010 at 10:28 PM  

I prefer Mazara's over Lillian's and AJ's. Certainly not the best but better than most. There is so much mediocre food in FH. I too, have not experienced such a horrible experience there. Maybe you caught a bad day? I've tried that place in StopnShop 2-3 times for both pizza and food, and so far it's growing on me!

Post a Comment

CONTACT ME

eateryrow@gmail.com

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP