Pages

Brunch Report - Q

12:24 AM

Q HAS CLOSED.
Brunch Report
Q
108-25 Ascan Avenue
Forest Hills, NY 11375
(718) 261-6599


I got home Saturday night at about 8am Sunday morning. Waking from my sleep, all three hours of it, I felt... used up. I was still wearing the now-way-more-wrinkled clothes from the night before, my mouth tasted like the business side of a construction site and I was so dehydrated that my knuckles started to crack and bleed. At least I don't get hangovers. Okay, I told myself, shaking off the grogginess, time for food. I stood outside Q, the neighborhood's upscale Thai restaurant, until they opened at the late-for-brunch hour of noon killing time by alternating between the Kings of Leon and talking on the phone.




I was the only customer at Q, which alleges to have a brunch menu. I say "alleges" because it isn't really true unless pad thai counts as a brunch dish (it doesn't). So I ordered the Eggs Benedict (the only brunch option other than mango pancakes). The eggs benedict were served with a small side salad and a hash brown. You can get it made one of three ways: with Canadian bacon, smoked salmon, or filet mignon. Naturally I chose filet mignon... I mean, like, come on. And they were fantastic. Perfect runny eggs, perfect steak, perfect sauce. The perfect brunch.

But great dish aside, Q doesn't seem to really want your brunch business. They open too late, so everyone leaving the 10am church services won't go there, their menu is geared for lunch with the aforementioned exceptions, and it's all a la carte. So my eggs did not come with coffee, or juice, or a mimosa or bread basket. At least the coffee refills were free this time.

This ambivalence is a definite shame. Clearly Q can make a great brunch, and the atmosphere, with its wicker sofas, jazzy lounge music and upscale decor is everything that great bruncheterias should have in my fantasy-laden stereotype-heavy mind.



The eggs benedict, a coffee, a large orange juice, tax and tip cost about $23.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

The contents of this website/weblog are the property of its author and are protected under the copyright and intellectual property laws of the United States of America. The views expressed within are the opinions of the author. All rights reserved.

Readers are free to copy and distribute the material contained within, but such external use of the author's original material must be properly attributed to the author. Attribution may be through a link to the author's original work. Derivative use is prohibited. The borrower may not alter, transform, or build upon the work borrowed.

The author is free to change the terms of this copyright at any time and without notice. At the written request by the borrower, the author may choose to waive these rights.

Labels

Press